Remembering Aarathi, A Youngzine Writer

Sep 26, 2020 By Deepa Gopal
Deepa Gopal's picture

With a deep heart, we mourn the loss of one of our own -- Aarathi Ganapathy, a wonderful writer who touched many young readers with her articles.

I was introduced to Aarathi in 2014 by her aunt who had co-founded and helped shape Youngzine during its early days. Without a moment's hesitation, Aarathi chose to volunteer for Youngzine, and soon it was apparent that she loved children and she loved writing.

Over the next three years, Aarathi wrote nearly 142 articles on a wide range of topics! And each and every one of them reflected the joy she felt - joy at learning something new herself and the joy of explaining it to young readers. She cared to educate children about the larger world, even if it meant researching and writing her weekly articles on her phone when she was traveling or had internet issues in India.

I recall mails from Aarathi suggesting a topic that she felt kids would enjoy learning about, or telling me how much she enjoyed researching a topic and which took longer than usual to write because she had followed the links down a rabbit-hole, or coming up with a creative title for an article on space with a note “Why should astronomers have all the fun :)”

However, what I enjoyed the most from our interaction was her upbeat and cheerful personality. She was warm-hearted, valued family, enjoyed being with people, and embraced all of life's experiences with its ups and downs with a positive attitude. As Helen Keller said "What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.”

In her 33 years of life, Aarathi has left her footprints in the sands of time through the treasure-trove of articles she wrote for Youngzine readers. More importantly, if Youngzine is thriving today and inspiring many more young writers and readers, it is because of passionate people like her who sowed the seeds.

Youngzine will miss her. And I will deeply miss a colleague, a friend, and an overall kind human being.

You can find all her articles here: https://youngzine.org/users/aarathi (requires login). A few of her articles are on the right in the "Related" category.

Deepa
Founder/Editor, Youngzine

Comments

Tearose13's picture
Tearose13 October 9, 2020 - 5:49am
I am 9 right now and I love this stuff
Deepa Gopal's picture
Deepa Gopal September 30, 2020 - 8:46am
Thank you SO much for ALL your heartfelt messages. I heard back from Aarathi's family and they are deeply touched by the outpouring of love and find comfort in the knowledge that Aarathi left an impact on so many young readers. We at Youngzine feel blessed that we have such a caring and empathetic community of young readers and writers. You make the world a beautiful place :-)
smalltiger's picture
smalltiger September 30, 2020 - 4:09am
Sad
NashTN398's picture
NashTN398 September 29, 2020 - 7:37am
aw man why her
YaNOOBZ's picture
YaNOOBZ September 28, 2020 - 8:21am
Thats so sad :(
Lauren T's picture
Lauren T September 27, 2020 - 11:20pm
When I was in elementary and middle school, I read many of Aarathi's articles on Youngzine, and to the 9-year-old me, who didn't like reading long, boring articles, hers were exciting and informative, and really motivated me to keep up with current events. And as a high-school writer intern today, Aarathi continues to inspire me as I write articles of my own.
Airaphta's picture
Airaphta September 27, 2020 - 8:56pm
I want to thank Aarathi for her dedication and contribution to the Youngzine community. Her articles were such a source of inspiration and I could feel the passion she had for educating kids through them. She will be greatly missed.
Ritali's picture
Ritali September 27, 2020 - 8:28pm
I want to thank Aarathi for her contribution to Youngzine's legacy. I read some of her articles, and they reflect her positive energy and loving soul. We are so grateful for her passion and kindness towards cultivating a love for education in youth and making the world a better place. She will be greatly missed.
Alyssa U's picture
Alyssa U September 27, 2020 - 8:20pm
I never knew Aarathi, but I have so much to thank her for - her dedication made it possible for Youngzine to become the amazing platform it is today, and for young journalists like me to be able to make a difference with my writing. She has accomplished something incredible with Youngzine, for readers and writers alike.
GREY_HAWK731's picture
GREY_HAWK731 September 28, 2020 - 9:17am
me neither but I thank her for bringing people together.
lyeen.123's picture
lyeen.123 September 27, 2020 - 8:07pm
What an impact she had on Youngzine! Thank you Aarathi.
Claudia Z.'s picture
Claudia Z. September 27, 2020 - 2:45pm
I did not know Aarathi, yet still, I can see the profound impact she had on those around her as a person and a writer. She seemed like a very positive and curious person, qualities which transferred into her articles that educated and inspired many kids. Thank you for helping build up the Youngzine community and giving many other writers the chance to continue your legacy of curiosity and passion.
amudhasairam's picture
amudhasairam September 28, 2020 - 1:03am
I want to thank her for bringing such a heartfelt, passionate voice to the Youngzine community. Reading her articles, it's clear that she truly loved to learn and educate. The conversations she started in the comments and the engagement on her articles from readers are incredibly powerful. The Youngzine writers will continue her legacy and make her proud.
Aaditi's picture
Aaditi September 27, 2020 - 11:04am
I have been reading Aarathi's articles on Youngzine since I was in middle school and she was a role model to not only me, but to the many who read Youngzine. She was one of the inspirations that led me to start writing for Youngzine. I thank her for spreading her passion for learning and inspiring so many young people.