What's New At CES 2015?

Jan 10, 2015 By Radhika, Guest Writer
Radhika's picture

When you think of the city of Vegas, what images come to mind? Slot machines, ostentatious casinos, the Little White Wedding Chapel, perhaps. But what about an assembly of tech geeks from around the world?

Every January, the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is held in Las Vegas, offering people a glimpse into what the world of technology has to offer.

This year, the show was held from January 6-9 and showcased cutting-edge inventions. Here is a wrap up of a few technologies that stole the limelight.

Internet TV: Cutting The Cord

Sling TV symbolizes the rise of the Internet TV. Due to streaming websites such as Netflix and Hulu, people have begun cutting down on watching cable.

Dish developed Sling TV as a service that allows people to stream channels over the Internet rather than watching them via cable. Dish has already secured many major channels, including ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, Food Network, and ABC Family, and is making them available through Sling TV at $20 a month. Sling TV will be compatible with other devices as well, including the Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and the Xbox One.

3D Printers: Making 'Em Real!

One of the biggest trends of 2014 was 3D printing. We have written about MakerBot, the company that pioneered 3D printing here.

Rather than simply using plastic, MakerBot uses composite filaments or materials that combine plastic and something else. That “something else” could be iron, bronze, limestone, or other materials. This allows 3D printers to create products that look much more realistic.

While the composite is still not completely identical to the real thing (it is still mixed with plastic), it has many advantages. It can take on the properties of the added material. For example, an iron-based plastic could be magnetized, while a wood-based plastic could be sanded or stained.

Mercedes-Benz: Luxury in Motion

Another new trend in recent years is self-driving cars. While most developments in this field have been made by companies like Google, Mercedes-Benz is adding a twist that they are best known for style.

Car seats swivel so that passengers can face one another. People can control the car through remotes and hand gestures. Colored LED lights allow pedestrians to know when it is safe to cross. The F015 is not a realistic model, nor will it likely go into the market. However, it is a concept car, showing us what Mercedes believes the future of self-driving cars holds for us.

Bendable TV, Wearable Devices, And More...

One of the most popular gadgets revealed at the CES was 4K TVs. When it comes to resolution, 4K is as good as you can get—it is basically Ultra HD. While a TV with 1080p resolution has around 2 million pixels, a TV with 4K resolution has 8 million pixels -- 4 times as much as the next best option. And LG was part of this trend, showcasing the second generation of their 4K OLED TV that can be bent or straightened according to user preferences. We have written about OLED TV's here.

Wearable devices such as smartwatches that track health and fitness goals were the rage as expected. Then there were internet-enabled devices such as intelligent thermostats, washing machines, refrigerators -- and even a smart toothbrush that connects to your iPhone or Android app and tells you how well you are brushing!

Charging Devices... Remotely!

What happens when you see the small battery symbol on the top corner of your computer or phone turn red and display a small 2% sign? It is a mad rush to the charger, where you fumble a bit for the plug and then sigh in relief when your device begins to charge.

Energous’ WattUp changes all of that. WattUp is a wireless charger that can charge your devices from up to 15 feet away—you don't even need a charging pad! Using Bluetooth, WattUp connects to compatible devices. Then, it sends out radio signals, which are converted to DC power by a small chip in the device.

The WattUp can either automatically charge all devices in the 15-foot radius or be manually programmed to charge certain devices. Because it prioritizes charging devices with lower battery, you will never need to worry about running out of juice before you get to the charger. Energous plans to have this technology out in stores by the end of the year.

Comments

rylee.day1's picture
rylee.day1 February 24, 2016 - 8:00am

I think it is really interesting that so many people get together to throw around ideas about such forward-thinking technology. If it were me, I would probably put my money into the charging device because your cell phone dying is something that a lot of people can relate to, and it seems like a really smart idea. The other things such as the car and the bendable watches are really cool concepts, but they don't seem as realistic or applicable.

emily_r's picture
emily_r February 24, 2016 - 7:10am

This is exciting and terrifying at the same time. The idea how far technology has come is exciting but the movie Wall-E is coming to life. A day when no one will have to walk anywhere, they just lay around and watch TV all day. I think that all this is exciting and incredible to see how far we have come. I just think that a line needs to be drawn.

Carlyjosnyder's picture
Carlyjosnyder October 11, 2015 - 6:45pm

It is crazy to see how far technology has come! I think the new invention I look most forward to is the WattUp. It will be so helpful to be able to charge your phone without being restricted to the area that the cord can reach. I also look forward to self-driven cars. I cannot imagine not having to worry about driving a car! I wonder what new developments will be made in the future?

KendalCarpenter16's picture
KendalCarpenter16 October 11, 2015 - 5:08pm

I think this article is very interesting. It is crazy to think that cars driving themselves. is the technology going to become good or bad for humanity? I think that there are both pros and cons to technology becoming such a huge thing in society.

Seravok's picture
Seravok October 11, 2015 - 5:06pm

i wouldn't trust remote controlled cars i think those are accidents waiting to happen. But the other things on this page is really cool like the 3D printer. Why I say that is because think of what the medical research could do with that with making artificial organs and other stuff. The watch just seems to be a smart phone on your hand. Well I think that the 15ft charge is cool if they get them in stores that could be really useful to many people.

anthony.jones's picture
anthony.jones October 11, 2015 - 1:41pm

I liked the 4K T.V. because they had very cool features to them. For example, in the article it says that 4K is as good as you can get. It has 8000 pixels in the 4K T.V. That is 4 times as the next best option that you can get. This is so cool because it is so much better than all of the others. Overall this article is great because the technology today is so good and so cool to watch and see.

alexa.worrell's picture
alexa.worrell October 11, 2015 - 12:22pm

I think that it is so cool to see all these new technology inventions that people are coming up with today. One thing that I think was really cool was the wireless chargers called WattUp. I think that it will be a great benefit to people because you can charge your phone without a cord. For some people, they have to find their cord or if their cord broke they would have to buy a new one. With this new device, they wouldn't have to waste their money on buying cords, they can just wirelessly charge their phone.

carrollju1's picture
carrollju1 October 9, 2015 - 11:19am

I think it is amazing to see how far technology has advanced. Self driving cars, that you can just sit and talk to the other passengers while you are driven places. Also 3D printers that can even print food. These are things that no one would have thought we would have 20 years ago. I wonder what new things we will have in 20 years.

myla.patterson's picture
myla.patterson October 9, 2015 - 5:54am

It is so amazing to see how far we have advanced in technology. I remember being really young and watching the Jetsons and really believing that at this time we would actually be using flying as mode of transportation everywhere. Though this has not happened, I believe that it definitely will within the next 100 years. I can't wait to see these cool inventions progress even more.

Abigail Ploetz's picture
Abigail Ploetz October 8, 2015 - 3:48pm

This article was very interesting! I had no idea that there were so many new advances going on in the world of technology! I know teenagers will go crazy for the Wattup charging device. I also know that there are other advances in the medical field with 3D printers. Soon, printing fully operational organs and tissues will be possible! We will just have to wait and see what the future holds!

AllysonOsborne's picture
AllysonOsborne October 8, 2015 - 8:45am

I think Mercedes-Benz concept car is really cool. The idea of a self-operated car is really crazy, and super interesting. All of these different inventions are showing how much our technological skills are advancing in just a year.

KaitlynB1's picture
KaitlynB1 October 8, 2015 - 8:43am

I think the WattUp is extremely cool, being able to be up to 15 feet away and your phone is still charging is pretty cool. Everyone has the struggles of sharing chargers and debating who gets to use the charger because one phone is closer to dying than the other, but with WattUp the device will automatically prioritize what phones battery is the lowest. This new device by Energous is so simple, all you need is to connect to Bluetooth and your phone will be charged!

Jacob Fortney's picture
Jacob Fortney October 7, 2015 - 9:15am

I think that it is so cool the way that tech has advanced. Before the best that there was the best you could get and now there are TVs that have 4x the amount of pixels than before. it is incredible.

William Wiggins's picture
William Wiggins October 6, 2015 - 8:45am

I think it's really interesting that you can watch TV over the internet now. With many people watching Netflix and Hulu, I think this is a good move on Cable companies part. Maybe because of this move, one day it will be normal to not even own a TV anymore. Weird

andrewmoore's picture
andrewmoore October 6, 2015 - 8:01am

The most interesting thing I read in this article was about the wireless battery chargers. You have to have a little chip inside your phone or device to be connected to the router for it can start charging. This would be great for traveling inside airplanes or at the airport because you don’t have to worry about finding a plug or remembering to pack the cord in your carry-on bag instead of your checked bag.

wesleydunn's picture
wesleydunn October 5, 2015 - 11:35am

3D Printers: I love how 3D printers are being used to create prosthetic limbs for a low price. It's really cool to see how technology can make our world a better place. I hope more research goes into this. Wireless charging: How cool!!! It's awesome that you could just be sitting on the couch, using your phone, while it charges!

abbiea's picture
abbiea October 1, 2015 - 7:29am
I thought the coolest new item that is being worked on would be the car! I love that the seats move around so we could talk to others easier and that it can be controlled through hand gestures. The item that would be most helpful to me would probably be the one that charges all different devices. It would come in handy because we constantly have to charge all our different electronics! I've seen a 3-D printer and it's also very cool that it is being worked on and improved.
markvalentine55's picture
markvalentine55 September 30, 2015 - 7:30am
I think it's crazy what technology has come to today. Some of these things like self driving cars is something you'd dream about.I'm excited to see here in the next couple of years what's going to be put out on the market for the public.
Mikayla R's picture
Mikayla R September 30, 2015 - 7:23am
I think it is amazing how far technology is advancing. Self-driving cars and 3D printers are quite an advance in technology, even compared to 20 years ago. Internet TV and smart watches are so cool and will be really helpful.
RAZER1's picture
RAZER1 September 30, 2015 - 5:20am
I like the idea of actual wireless charging, because changing chargers for different phones creates a lot of waste when the charger becomes obsolete. Wireless charging could make chargers no longer needed. You wouldn't have to get a new cable every time you got a new phone, which would reduce a lot of waste that would otherwise end up in a dump.
Madison 123456's picture
Madison 123456 September 29, 2015 - 5:14pm

I really like the idea of Sling TV. It makes more since for us to watch Tv this way, because a majority already do this (weather it is legal or illegal). I feel like there are dangers to the idea of the car though. One wrong gesture or click and *boom* an accident.

shawnj3's picture
shawnj3 February 9, 2015 - 7:22pm

I like the idea that we might be able to where are devices is sooooooooo cool and I want a 3d printer so bad but I hope they can make it to where you cant make things live guns.

awesomeguy2014's picture
awesomeguy2014 January 22, 2015 - 9:19pm

Amazing!!!!

nikkosp's picture
nikkosp January 22, 2015 - 5:03am

OMG aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!so
cooooooollll

danielh4's picture
danielh4 January 21, 2015 - 7:19am

The Internet is slow

jeffreyb's picture
jeffreyb January 20, 2015 - 1:40pm

Should i use this kind of cable

youngpg's picture
youngpg January 17, 2015 - 6:58pm

Awesome

Tryn28's picture
Tryn28 January 14, 2015 - 11:48am

tech is getting so crazy

Tryn28's picture
Tryn28 January 14, 2015 - 11:48am

fire tv rocks. we have a fire stick, and we can take it out and travel with it

joshuar4's picture
joshuar4 January 14, 2015 - 9:27am

Woooooow!

annac2's picture
annac2 January 13, 2015 - 9:12am

Man now I'm hungry for 3D food.

megank2's picture
megank2 January 13, 2015 - 9:04am

Wow! These inventions are so cool! I thought iPhones had the coolest technology... so many other things do!

annac2's picture
annac2 January 13, 2015 - 8:53am

:o OMG!!!!!!!!!COOL!!!

laureng5's picture
laureng5 January 12, 2015 - 6:07pm

I think the car was supper cool.

annac2's picture
annac2 January 13, 2015 - 9:11am

Are you hungry because you said supper instead of super?

kileym2's picture
kileym2 January 12, 2015 - 6:01pm

I would choose the 3D printer because i have done it before and i made the Eiffel Tower and it was super fun. I would also choose the Mercedes Benz Luxury in motion because the is really cool that you can do that with the chairs and a remote controls the car...